How it works and FAQ's
There are three steps to get started once you have created an account with us.
- Book a Demo – The first thing that every new student will do is to have a free demo which will last around 30 minutes. This is an opportunity to meet your tutor to discuss your tuition needs. Your tutor can get a better understanding of the kind of tuition that you will need and will also help you to make sure your computer is set up correctly. You will get to use the classrooms and get a feel for what online tuition with Maths Doctor is really about.
- Select a payment plan – Once you’ve completed your demo and you are ready to sign up the next step will be to set up a payment plan so that you can book in some lessons. You can view our prices and payment options on our prices page.
- Book a lesson – After setting up your payment plan you will be ready to book some lessons into your tutor’s calendar and get started with your tuition and be on the way to sharpen up your maths skills.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We talk to students and parents every day and know some of the questions you may have about our tutors and tuition service so we’ve put together the most popular questions.
- Who will be my tutor
- What if I dont like my tutor
- How long is a lesson
- How many lessons can I have a week
- How far in advance can I book lessons
- How short notice can I book lessons
- Do I need any special computer equipment
- What happens when it's time to start my lesson
- How old do I need to be to have tuition
- How much is tuition
- What if I need to cancel a lesson
The types of tutors you can expect to find at Maths Doctor range from dynamic young maths and physics graduates, to highly experienced and practising school teachers, as well as academics who work and lecturer at universities.
All of our tutors are
- UK Qualified
- Highly trained
- A Curriculum expert
- CRB checked
It can be difficult to find the perfect tutor who you will be able to make a connection with. If you speak to one of our tutors, or even have a few lessons with someone, and decide that they aren’t the tutor for you then you can try another tutor. You can contact another tutor yourself or you can contact the Helpdesk to let them know what’s going on and we will help you to find your perfect tutor.
Most students have an hour long lesson but you can choose to have a slightly longer or a slightly shorter lesson. We would not recommend having a lesson for longer than 90 minutes.
You can have as many or as few lessons as you like. When you speak to a tutor they will be able to help you to decide how often you should have a lesson so as to make progress. Most of our students will have a lesson each week and perhaps more than one lesson a week on the run up to exams.
You will be able to book lessons in advance. It will depend on your tutor’s calendar and how far in advance they have designated their available times for tuition.
Most tutors will be happy to book up to six weeks in advance and ensure that you can have a regular slot available if that is what you require.
You may be able to book lessons on the same day but you must contact your tutor before booking it in so as to avoid disappointment. It is always best to give your tutor as much notice as possible so that they can prepare for the lesson so that you will get the most out of your time spent with them.
No! It’s really simple, you need an internet connection a web browser (we recommend Google Chrome for the best performance) and a headset with a microphone so that you can hear and speak to your tutor.
You may also want to use a webcam with your tutor but you don’t have to if you don’t want to. We also recommend using a graphics tablet rather than a mouse as you will be able to write in the classroom easier and it will feel more natural.
Once you have booked in some lessons you will see them listed on your upcoming lesson page when you’re logged into your account. Next to each lesson you will see ‘go to room’; by clicking this it will take you to your classroom where your tutor will meet you to start the lesson.
We have tutors who can teach students from primary school age, through to secondary school and GCSE’s, up to their A-levels and through to University. We also have lots of adults having tuition with us from people who need to retake their GCSE’s to people who need to brush up on their maths and physics to get a new job.
You can view our prices on our pricing page. The prices displayed are all hourly rates based on the level of the student and the way in which you wish to pay.
You are free to cancel a lesson booking on the day before without any penalty, however same day cancellations are usually charged for in full: Although if a student contacts us on the day of a lesson to cancel because they are ill or have an "emergency" we would normally waive the lesson charge without fuss.